If you’ve noticed the first signs of fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes, you’re not alone. The eye area is among the first places that those telltale signs of aging appear, and discovering them is disconcerting indeed. At this early stage, there’s still a lot that you can do to keep more from developing. If you haven’t noticed any lines or wrinkles around your eyes yet, these same tips can ward them off for a lot longer, so put them to use right away:
- Wear Sunglasses – Squinting is one of the biggest causes of crow’s feet and other lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Wear sunglasses whenever you go out during the day to reduce the amount of squinting that you do. Choose sunglasses with UV protection to not only protect your eyes but to shield the sensitive skin around them.
- Wear Sunscreen – By now, most people understand the importance of protecting their skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreen is among the best ways to do it, and it’s not just for days at the beach. Every morning before heading out the door, apply a lightweight facial moisturizer with built-in sunscreen. Many eye creams are also reinforced with UV protection, and it’s a worthwhile investment for anyone who wants to keep their eyes looking young and fresh.
- Don’t Smoke – Smoking is terrible for you for a number of reasons. If risks like cancer and emphysema aren’t enough to keep you from puffing away, consider this: The repetitive motions that go along with smoking are also often to blame for premature lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Also, chemicals in tobacco smoke contain free radicals that harm the skin, and they can keep the skin from getting as much oxygen as it should.
- Apply a Daily Moisturizer – As mentioned before, invest in a good anti aging eye cream before heading out for the day. It should include SPF 15 or higher sun protection too. You’re not done yet, though. After washing your face at the end of the day, slather on a high-quality eye cream that’s designed for nighttime use. Overnight, it will moisturize the delicate skin around the eyes, which helps it stay plumper and free of wrinkles.
- Go the Extra Mile – In addition to routine daily maintenance, occasionally have chemical peels or microdermabrasion performed on your face, with special attention paid to the area around the eyes. Sloughing away dead skin cells evens out skin texture, which can minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Invest in a good eye mask and wear it for 15 minutes per day too.
As you can see, it doesn’t take a lot to ward off fine lines and wrinkles from around the eyes. As delicate and sensitive as the skin in this area is, though, it’s well worth it to invest in the best eye cream available. Splurging a little now will pay off later in the form of smooth, wrinkle-free skin around the eyes.